Mitacs is a national non-for-profit organization which is actively operating from 1999 and since then has provided funding supports to large number of businesses. Among various hiring and training funding programs Mitacs provides a cluster of programs helping current recent graduate students(Master’s students) to be engaged in resolving business challenges with support of Canadian Universities.
Mitacs Accelerate program is one of the Mitacs’ flagship programs which aims to connect university graduates with businesses who are in need of innovative research, methods and development of tools, analytical models, advanced technology or solutions to support their challenges over a period of four months with an scaling up option.
Intern students spend approximately half of the time on-site with the industry partner with the remainder spend at the university advancing the research under the guidance of an academic supervisor. If the project aim is to resolve a technological obstacle or uncertainty it may be qualified for SR&ED tax incentive as well.
Key Considerations when apply for Mitacs Accelerate Program
- Equal matching funds from Mitacs is up to $7,500.
- Mitacs administers federal, provincial and industrial funds.
- Any businesses can retain students from 4 months up to 3 years depending on their degree level.
- The number of internships that a company can acquire depends on the graduate degree level.
- The program provides 50% of the fund to the university to administer. Another half of funding comes from employer’s contribution.
- Funding from both sources is matched via Mitacs first and administered through the university to the student.
- A better benefit would be that a Mitacs Business Development officer can assist the company in navigating the application process and matching with the university to conduct research.
- Student must be a recent graduate in the Canadian institution.
- There is no age restrictions.
- Students of public universities in Canada are eligible.
- Mitacs programs are open to Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents and international students. International students must be accepted at a Canadian university, enrolled in a Master’s or PhD program, or hold a Postdoctoral Fellowship and already be in Canada to take part in the internship.
- There are no restrictions on whether or not the intern has had a prior relationship with the company they wish to partner with for the research internship.
For further information please do not hesitate to contact Kelid™ . Within two days a funding expert will contact you and will let you know whether you are qualified or not. Once you are qualified, you will be assisted for the next steps to complete the application submission.
[…] Mitacs Accelerate […]