Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME) and the Ontario Government launched a $25 million SMART Green program in 2016 to assist Small and Mid-sized Enterprises (SME) reduce greenhouse gases and improve energy efficiency. The SMART Green Program offers non-repayable grants up to $200,000 for 50% of eligible costs. The objective of this program is to encourage technology and process innovations that reduce Green House Gas (GHG) emissions and create sustainable manufacturing facilities.
- The business must be located in Ontario and have at least 10 full-time employees.
- The SME must have greenhouse gas emissions under 25,000 tonnes annually.
- Those applying for Ontario’s Cap & Trade Program are not eligible.
- The company must be financially stable (or demonstrate long-term financial health) and in operation for at least 3 years.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need for the funding.
- Businesses who have applied previously may apply again to the SMART Program.
- Companies must be in manufacturing operation.
- Funding is for new projects only.
- A technical assessment form required showing the pre-project GHG emissions and details of how the project will directly impact and reduce GHG emissions on a “per-production unit” basis.
- Projects must prove that the grant will help improve productivity and create a more eco-friendly manufacturing process while increasing profitability.
Funding Amount and Process
Funding is available for two types of applications:
- Technical assessment – This is for applicants who have not yet identified a project or do not have a baseline GHG emission report for a specified project. Assessment projects include recruiting a third party to assess GHG reduction opportunities in the facilities. Applicants can receive 50% of eligible costs up to $10,000 for technical assessment application.
- Project funding – Application for capital investments which focuses on acquisition of equipments and process implementation. Applicants can receive 50% of eligible costs up to $200,000 for a qualified capital project.
- Businesses can apply for one implementation and one assessment application per facility.
- Businesses which have more than one facility can apply for funding for up to 5 facilities.
- The maximum funding available is up to $500,000 per parent company and up to $200,000 per facility and per project including assessment.
Applications are currently being accepted for this program until all funding has been successfully allocated. Applications are accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Moreover, the application can be submitted by the prospective recipient only. No third party submit an application on the prospective recipient’s behalf.
The turn around time for a technical assessment is 7-10 business days. A final review and decision process takes about 30-45 business days.
If the funding has been approved, the applicant will receive a contribution agreement with the outlined terms and conditions. It must be signed and returned within 10 days to start the expense coverage for any project-related activity.
So what does your next project look like? Do your company and your project meet the eligibility criteria to receive the SMART Green Program or Tax Credits in Green Technologies ? Our team of experts can help you find out. Contact Kelid™ to set up a free consultation TODAY!